Sunday, January 6, 2013

Santa Baby update

So way back in November, I posted a tongue-in-check Christmas list for myself.  You can go back to read it here. I titled the post Santa Baby because I was thinking of that song and thought it would be funny to detail out my incredibly materialistic Christmas list.  Not for one second ever thinking I would get anything on that list.  Well, except for maybe the new setting for my diamond ring because Jruss and I had discussed that that's what would be my gift this year.  You see, I am a gifts person (if you're familiar with the 5 Love Languages).  I am married to a person for whom gifts is #5 (as in not important at all).  To say that our first few holidays were a bit disappointing is an understatement.  However, over the years, I have accepted my fate and before every holiday hand that boy a list (or email him a wish list) and try to muster up surprise when I open up the gift I have inevitably found before the actual holiday. ASIDE: I should do a little series on all the gifts I've found over the years-you'd love Jruss' idea of a hiding spot. And it's truly me finding them, I don't snoop.
But back to my story. I cannot stress to you how much that list was just a joke.  Yes, I truly wanted everything on that list, but it was all over $100 stuff. Not exactly compliant with our Christmas budget.  But can I tell you that I got every thing on that list except for the iPad/iPhone/Kindle Fire??  What?
Yep, I am now the super startled new owner of a gorgeous, purple Michael Kors purse (thanks to my parents), a fabulous new Keurig coffee maker (again thanks to my folks),  the most comfortable pair of grey cardy UGG boots (thanks to my husband), and a new sparky setting for my beloved engagement ring (also hubby).
Can you believe it?  Out of all of this, I have to tell you the biggest surprise was the UGGs.  My husband braved mall traffic on Christmas Eve to go to a department store and drop an obscene amount of money on a pair of glorified house slippers for ME! I, of course, knew about the ring-he picked it out and all, but I had guided him and knew he was doing it, so it wasn't a surprise. My mom spilled the beans about the purse, so I knew that was waiting for me under the tree-even had time to order a new wallet to match my new purse (and shhh, it's a Vera Bradley wallet-I'm sorry, but 31 wallets aren't big enough for all my crap). And a huge box from Bed, Bath, and Beyond arrived with a receipt in it which said what it was, so that surprise was lost as well. I mean, really BB&B? You gift wrap something and then put the detailed receipt on top? Come on people, it's Christmas!
So while I was so excited about actually getting all this stuff, none of it was a surprise.  Making those UGGs the real scene-stealer for Christmas.  I have worn them just about every day since Christmas.  They are awesome.  And every time I put them on, I think about my sweet husband. Going to the mall, which is akin to stabbing himself in the eye.  Spending more than $15, which is really hard for him, even now, as a well-paid grown-up.  And, further, spending MUCH more than $15 on something that I know just baffles him.
He loves me, he really does. And after 13 years of marriage, but really almost 18 years of togetherness, I still don't quite understand why. But I'm sure glad he does.
And don't worry, even though I have all these glamorous things now, we can still be friends. I still love a bargain and Target. Nothing has changed.  Except I'm walking around Target with a sparkly ring finger, in my new UGG boots, and with my MK purse in the cart! :)

1 comment:

Alyson and Ian said...

Oh. My. Gosh. I am so much like my brother, it is ridiculous!!!!! Glad you got a surprise for Christmas. I did too! It's so fun!!