Sunday, November 25, 2012

3 Magical Words

It got lost in the shuffle of Thanksgiving/travel prep, but I had an appointment with the endocrinologist the week before Thanksgiving.  It included an ultrasound.  What they are looking for on this ultrasound, I'm not entirely sure.  I've heard references to looking for "tissue" and looking at my lymph nodes.  I guess they're just peeking to see if my thyroid has crept back in. :)
Anyway, ultrasound was able to be done in the doctor's office (until now I've had to go to the hospital for their super-de-duper ultrasound machine), so that was exciting and much more time efficient.
But the best part of all came when the doctor came in after looking at my ultrasound pics (SIDE NOTE: ultrasounds are not nearly as exciting when there's not a little tiny baby to look at-the inside of my neck is not nearly as cool) and uttered these words:
"Everything with the ultrasound looked great.  This, along with the results of your lab work (where they tested for this tumor marker deal), lead me to believe that YOU ARE CURED."
I released a breath I didn't even know I was holding.  This is a real game changer for me in a lot of ways, not the least of which is I don't have to go back to see her for a whole entire YEAR.  I don't have to have another ultrasound or whole body scan anytime soon. 
Whew.  That was really great news right before the thankfulness holiday, I tell you what.  Thoughts of my cancer certainly don't consume my thoughts at all these days.  I feel great and life is good.  But to hear that my doctor is not overly concerned with checking me for it and that we've moved to maintenance mode is certainly great news for me.
Thankful. Relieved. CURED!

1 comment:

Alyson and Ian said...

Praise the Lord!!! :) Such happy news!