Wednesday, October 10, 2012

This is a real problem

So my #1 (and only) son will turn 8 in a little over 3 weeks.  There are many wonderful, wonderful things about this little fella.  But as he's getting older some not-so-great things are coming to light.  The one I would like to highlight tonight is, on the surface, a seemingly insignificant one.  But if you think about it, the effects are far-reaching.
I'm talking about the way the child eats.  This has nothing to do with how picky he is.  I'm talking about the actual mechanics of how he eats.  I would love to blame all this on the braces and the appliance, but this is not a new problem.  For starters, he's a smacker. Terrible.  Then, inexplicably, he manages to get food ALL OVER his face.  Think 1 year old, just learning how to eat.  The really frustrating part is he will either run his ridiculously long Gene Simmons tongue over his chin and upper lip to "wipe up" or just wipe his mouth on his shirt.  This is despite the fact that he is provided a napkin at every.single.meal. The Gene Simmons wipe usually just spreads it around a bit more.  If he chooses to buy lunch at school, I can tell what he ate by what's on his face when he gets off the bus.
Jason and I have just started really cracking down on this at dinner. I'm ashamed we let it get this bad.  I told him the other night at dinner that one day he's going to eat dinner at his girlfriend's house and after that her parents are going to tell her to drop him because he has the table manners of an ape.  That did not go over well.
But, seriously, this is not outside the realm.
Any suggestions?  It's really bad.

No comments: