Thursday, October 11, 2012

Love is blind

I have two children who don't wish another woman was their mom.  I know this because I ask them this question all the time-"Do you ever wish another woman was your mom?"  Answer is always a resounding no.
You know what is the driving force behind that question?  My weight.  I worry about the day that my children figure out that their mommy is fatter than most of their friends mommies.  A couple of weeks ago Garrett had an orthodontist appointment.  The orthodontist is conveniently located right next to Steak and Shake.  As we were leaving the kids asked if they could get shakes.  Because I'm awesome, I said sure and through the drive-thru we went.  Because I was displaying remarkable self-restraint, I only ordered two milkshakes.  After we pulled away from the restaurant, Garrett noticed that I hadn't ordered one and asked me why.  I just said it was because I was trying to lose a little weight and milkshakes aren't the best thing for that.  He asked why and I said because they were full of fat and calories.  Then he got worried that he needed to lose weight.  After I talked him off that ledge, he asked me why I wanted to be "nonfat."  (Love this term, by the way.) I explained that I wasn't at a healthy weight and I wanted my body to look nicer.  Both my children were utterly perplexed by this.  They don't see that my body doesn't look nice. To me, I am their mom and I look like their mom should. I asked them if they noticed that there was a pillow on my stomach when they hugged me and pointed out that that pillow shouldn't be there.  Didn't they notice that when they hugged other people? Nope.  Never noticed.
There's a lesson in there somewhere. The argument simply cannot be made that I am perfect as I am currently.  I only weigh 10 pounds less than the day I birthed Harper.  It's not healthy. However, my kids (and my husband) see me through love's eyes. And love is blind. Thank goodness.
But why can't I look with love's eyes on my own body? Why are my eyes so much more critical than anyone elses?
Don't have any profound insight tonight.  Just questions. And the hope that one day, one day, I will be able to look at myself through love's eyes.
For now, I am thankful that I get glimpses through my kids and my husband.

No comments: