I'm a rule follower. Almost obnoxiously so. For the most part, it serves me well. It makes me a great employee (I hope) because I always follow the rules. I am also a perfectionist. These two things in conjunction can sometimes make me appear to be a procrastinator. I want it to be perfect AND follow the rules.
Where this has been particularly paralyzing is in regards to decorating and fashion. I'm always so concerned with whether or not something matches or if that's "allowed." For some things, I'm ok. I don't worry about matching my purse or my nail polish to every outfit.
A few months ago I was chatting with my hairdresser, Andrea. I can't remember what we were talking about specifically-something about home decorating, I think. When I mentioned a concern, she said something that has been rolling around in my head since then and has been quite freeing. "The new rule is that there are no rules."
You can wear white after Labor Day. You can wear pink and red, navy and black, patterns with other patterns.
You can mix wood finishes in your home, paint a wall a bold color, have not-matching throw pillows. Your rug and your curtains don't have to match.
Apparently, the new rule is "blending." An art form my 5 year old hasn't quite grasped, but she's getting there.
This has been so awesome for me. I know it seems stupid, but I really struggle with this sometimes. Last week I wore a T shirt that had a red graphic on it. With it, I wore a scarf that had pink in it. It did not match at all. It "blended." Got a ton of compliments on it! We're talking a schlubby T-shirt, jeans and a scarf. Compliments. Crazy. But when I looked in the mirror that morning, I reminded myself that the new rule is that there aren't any rules. And out the door I went.
So wear those crazy shoes that don't match anything. That big chunky necklace. That scarf. Buy that weird decorative item that doesn't match a thing in your house. There are no rules!!
In regards to this, anyway. You still have to follow the other rules. Don't get crazy!
No comments:
Post a Comment