Sunday, September 16, 2012

A story from my trip

So remember that I went to Orlando for work week before last?  All my stories from this trip got preempted by the infestation last week.  So I would like to share on with you now.
I went to Orlando to help our music label (North Point Music Records) at a conference for Christian Music Broadcasters (aka the people who make the decision to play our music on the radio).  It was a fun week, if a little busy at times.  But I traveled with fun ladies and we know how to make our own fun!
As part of this conference a lot of other record labels send their signed artists to schmooze a bit.  The whole atmosphere is weird, frankly.  Because it is overtly Christian, the schmoozing doesn't look like it does in the business world.  But everyone there is in the business of making money for their stations, their labels, or their publishing companies, so it's a bit off.  Not in a bad way, just off.
Anyway, the striking contrast between the artist and the record execs and station personnel was HILARIOUS!!  I've never seen so many pairs of skinny jeans, TOMS, and hair product in men gathered in one place before (and we have a LOT of that a North Point, so this is saying something).  But they were there alongside the station people in ratty khaki shorts and flops and the execs in business casual.  It was so funny.  Got to see a couple "famous" people.  Some dude named Colton who was apparently on American Idol last season, which I did not watch.  But knew he had to be "someone" because of his "look."  Finally asked someone and they told me who he was.  The more notable famous person I saw was Jason Castro, also of American Idol fame, but from a season I actually watched.  Saw him quite a few times actually because his room was down the hall from ours. He was there with his wife and baby-saw him pushing the stroller several times.  Dude is shorter than I would have thought and has dreds down to his behind.
Did finally get my long-standing question about dreds answered from my encounter(s) with him.  There isn't an odor.  We walked by him several times while inhaling deeply and didn't smell anything, so there you go.  Still really nasty.  And his wife is very normal looking (not Hollywood at all) and all I kept thinking about was sleeping next to him-wouldn't you be scared to wake up and a dred be on you?  What if you rolled over accidentally and broke one off? Does he get mad?  And that baby is going to start pulling on those "handles" for sure.
Anyway.  Just thought I'd share. Jason Castro doesn't smell.  Alert the media.

No comments: