I got a text message tonight from a friend with a video attached to it. I was trying to get the video to post on here, but I'm technologically failing tonight. The video is not great quality and it's not really long, but that video is reason #4,732,516 why I love my husband.
Jason Russell is spending his weekend in Covington, GA at the FFA/FHA camp with 335 6th graders from our church. By choice. He and Josh are responsible for about 10 boys out of those 335. The video is of my husband, who is blindfolded, participating in the belly flop contest in front of what looks to be all 335 6th graders and their small group leaders. This comes after we shaved his hair into a "Mohawk" (air quotes used because Mohawks are surprisingly hard to achieve on balding men) on Thursday night. Read=he had to go to work with said "Mohawk" on Friday.
All of this for a group of boys he met in June, but will spend the next 3 years worth of Sundays and camps with. A group of boys who are still, for the most part, children. But who will be taking those first shaky steps into adolescence in these 3 years. And for a lot of them, their first shaky steps into their own faith. This weekend is all about solidifying Jason and Josh as credible voices in their lives. Because their parents' credibility is about to go down the drain. And they need someone else speaking the same truths into their lives right now.
As the mom of a little boy who, in just four years, will be going to this same camp (Lord, help me!), I am so grateful for people like my husband and the 105 other small group leaders who serve in this capacity.
It seems like such silly things-Mohawks and belly flops. But it means so much more than that. And so much more hangs in the balance.
Our church gets this. And my husband gets this. And that's why this is reason #4,732,516 that I love my man.
No comments:
Post a Comment