Thursday, August 23, 2012

Ask someone else

Recently had an ah-ha moment.  Now that both kids are older and I feel like doing something that could be considered "Family Devotion Time" would actually be beneficial, I have been struggling to figure out what this would like for us.
Have tried several different books, ideas, times, places, etc. all to no lasting impact.  Wasn't something anyone seemed to enjoy and didn't seem to be a priority. 
Leads me to a couple weeks ago when we brought dinner to the Alexanders after baby Jack came home from the hospital.  She was talking about the night before and recounting an anecdote from their family Bible time.  After she finished the story, I asked her what they did for Bible time. She told me that they read from the Jesus Storybook Bible and then they pray.  But the key to all this was that they did this in their bedroom.
That was my ah-ha moment.  Why had I never considered doing this in our room?  Part of the issue with our previous attempts at Bible time was frustration that the kids would get distracted by some random shiny thing in their room.  Eliminated if we're in our room.
So that night we came home, had baths, and piled into our bed and started the Jesus Storybook Bible (this is an absolutely fabulous book).  Been doing it every night since. Kids love it and ask for it.  Have reminded us when we forgot.  Garrett even sometimes reads the passage the story from the Storybook Bible in Jason's Student Bible after he goes to bed.
Both kids usually pray and then either Jason or I will pray and everyone goes to bed. Such a nice little moment to close our day.

Sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees.  It's always nice to talk to other people about how they do things. Just might lead you to a solution you couldn't come across on your own.

No comments: