Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Health update

So, it's been awhile since I've talked about my health.  This is mostly because there is nothing to report.  All of my scans have been clear, so the doctors have pretty much declared me cancer free and everyone is breathing a little easier.  My blood work has been a little bit of a different story, but nothing really notable. That's a little easier to deal with anyway because it just requires a shift the dosing of my medication.
The biggest issue with my health lately has been my weight.  With the help of the nurse at my OB's office, I discovered that I have gained 20 pounds since my thyroid was removed.  This August will be three years since my surgery, so obviously, this is not a good trend.  But my endocrinologist has not seemed concerned about this and I can't seem to make her understand that I see this as an issue.  After my last appointment with her, I decided that I was done with her, but didn't really know what to do next.  I finally decided to kind of start over and go to my primary care doctor and get a physical and chat with him about what's been going on.  I had not seen him since he sent me off for a CT scan for the lump in my salivary gland and to the trustworthy hands of Dr. French.  Plus, I hadn't had a complete physical in 8 years!
That appointment was today.  And it went so well!  Nothing drastic happened, but he spent about 15 minutes with me just talking and taking notes and looking over my chart.  He listened to me.  Imagine that!  And at the end of it all, I left with a referral to new endocrinologist, who he feels will be a better fit for me and the assurance that we will get to the bottom of this.  He told me that he was so glad I took charge of my health and didn't just go with what the doctor said.  He agreed that something was off and told me to come back to him if the new endocrinologist didn't get to the bottom of it.
I can't tell you what a weight (no pun intended) was lifted off my shoulders from this appointment.  After being so frustrated for about a year that I was talking and nobody was listening, this was just what I needed.
I will keep you posted about the new endocrinologist.  But tonight, I am one satisfied patient!

No comments: