My heart is so burdened for my neighbor one house up (so next to my next door neighbor). He and his wife live in their house with his wife's mother, who has Alzheimer's. They are an older couple (probably close to my parents age) and they have no children.
The reason why my heart is heavy for him is that he seems like the most defeated man on the planet. Even his posture screams "beaten down." As I was pulling into my driveway tonight, I saw him mowing the lawn and I wanted to cry. He just looks so unhappy with everything in his life.
Now, I will tell you that I have had exactly two conversations with this man, both very brief. He is extremely socially awkward. And for all I know, his life is exactly the way he wants it to be. But I don't think so.
Which leads me to my question. What do you do when life doesn't turn out your way? Why is it that some people seem to crumble under the disappointments of their life and others seem to flourish despite nothing going according to plan? One of the least favorite things about my personality (to me-and probably to others) is my resistance to change. But, the only thing that never changes is that things always change, so I am trying to be more flexible in general. And looking at my sad neighbor makes me even more committed to not getting "stuck" somewhere in my life and not seeing a way out.
No comments:
Post a Comment