I realized I haven't updated my blog with the latest health drama in my life. Apparently my new hobby is my health. Not fun.
Wednesday, April 7, I will be having sinus surgery to drain my right maxillary sinus (the one under your cheekbone), shave my turbinates (sounds fun, huh?) and to correct my dreadfully deviated septum. I had a CT scan done in February to check my neck and parotid to make sure all was well there. Since I've had terrible sinus trouble since the fall last year, Dr French order a scan of my sinuses while I was going for the check up scan (LOVE that he thought that way so I only had to do it once!). I also had to have allergy testing done to see if we could figure out why my sinuses kept filling up. 40 shots later, I am allergic to just about everything, but my biggest triggers are ragweed (which explains why the fall is so miserable for me), cats, housedust, and grass. So my bubble arrives next week. :)
When I saw Dr French for the results of my scan and the allergy tests he said he had good news and bad news, which one did I want first? I said the bad and he said that he really wanted to tell me the good first!
The good news is my neck is totally clear and seems to be completely free of thyroid tissue. Even better, what showed up as a tumor last year in my parotid is totally gone. There is NOTHING in that gland anymore. More proof that God truly placed that lump there. Big relief.
The bad news is my right maxillary sinus is completely full of "something", most likely a polyp (which is extra tissue) or a mucus filled cyst (hope you're not eating!). And with sinuses, if something is on one side, but not the other, it's considered "suspicious" (man I hate that word), so when he drains that sinus it will have to be sent off for pathology. Great. He did say that he sees nothing that would indicate it's a tumor, but I have to say that I'm totally preparing for it to be one. Good times.
Had my pre-op this morning and I would like to state for the record that I am anticipating this recovery to be the worst of all 5 of the surgeries I will have had. It will definitely be the grossest. It is an outpatient prodecure and will only be about 2 hours, which is nothing compared to my thyroid surgeries! But the recovery involves gross things and impossible things, like sneezing through my mouth.
My mom is coming up and I have four prescriptions, including one for Percocet (yee haw), so maybe I'm being pessimistic.
Oh, and after it's all over, I get to get started on allergy shots. Yippee.
I am almost completely numb. I have lost complete faith in my body. I am no longer able to handle all this with grace. I want to scream and cry and get in bed and cover up and never come out. But since I can't do any of that, I'm just ignoring it, pretending it's not my reality. Garrett heard me talking about the upcoming surgery and he said "You're having surgery again?" Why does my five year old son even know the word surgery??
I'm working at getting into a better place about all this. But I'm not there yet. Frankly, I don't want to be just yet. I need to be mad a little bit longer.
And I thought after the radiation, I would be "done". What a joke. And if that healthcare bill passes, I'm going to be glad all this happened before they could decide I wasn't worth the surgery and not pay for it. But, this pretty much ruins my chances of getting treatment for whatever the next health thing is going to be after that bill passes, as I will not be considered medically "worth it".
Boy, I'm just a bucket of cheer, aren't I?
2 comments:
Hang in there Allison!
What is up with your head girl? Goodness!!!! So sorry sweetie.
Having survived allergy shots for the majority of my youth, I can tell you it's just a time consuming pain, but not really painful. I now get blood drawn regularly, which is actually more painful.
On a good note, I'll cook for you again. I think that's a good note. Whatcha want?
You'll survive it. You're strong. You've got a fabulous family and church. And you have your faith.
Love you girl!
Post a Comment