Wednesday, March 17, 2010

A riddle for you!

What's white and blue and wet all over??

Any guesses?

It's the kids bathroom covered in baby powder, toothpaste and water from the sink.  They were supposed to be having a beach party.  Which usually involves a fan, beach towels, and our little ficus tree.  I was downstairs making a CD of tunes for us in the car and I could hear they were in the bathroom.  I told them to stop whatever they were doing and start cleaning up the mess I knew they were making.  Garrett asked that I please not spank him, so I knew it was going to be bad.  I waited until I felt I could see whatever it was and not yell so loud the neighbors would call DFACS.  And I walked into their bathroom to find two buck naked children.  Garrett standing on the counter wiping the mirror which was covered in water and baby powder to make it "sparkling" for me.  Harper was standing in a puddle (of water thank goodness) squirting hand soap all over the tiolet lid.

I was quite proud of myself.  I did not yell.  I did not turn purple or hurt my throat. I very calmly got them the things they would need to clean up and we all cleaned up the bathroom and headed into a two hour naptime for all 3 of us.

I am claiming a blog post I read last night by my friend, Amber, is responsible.  If you struggle with keeping your cool, it's a good read.

http://ambercastleberry.typepad.com/my_weblog/2010/03/good-parenting-reminders.html

Sadly, because they were both naked, I didn't take a picture.  No picture could have done it justice anyway.

1 comment:

Becca Daws said...

Thanks so much for the encouraging comment on my post!

I loved how you said Garrett is your miracle and Harper your gift. That is so well said.

The mystery, wonder, and power of God amaze me still in stories like yours and mine. He truly is the blessed controller, giver and sustainer of life.

Miss seeing your smiling face. Thanks for stopping by and saying "hi"!

Hugs,
Becca