Friday, October 30, 2009

Random

Because I've been so terrible with blog updates, here's some random updates for you.

1.  For those of you who are not on facebook, I got the results of my post-radiation, whole body scan last week.  News was great!  The radiation all stayed in my neck, which means no thyroid cells decided to make a break for it.  This likely means the cancer was FULLY contained in the nodule.  I do not have to see the endocrinologist again until the end of January.  That was the best news of all.

2. For those of you who don't work in the cubes around me, I have been coughing almost the entire month of October.  Went to the doctor, who diagnosed a sinus infection, put me on antibiotics (this was in my last post).  The day before I finished up those antibiotics, my sinuses filled up again.  The pressure was unbelieveable.  Every time I coughed I felt like my face was going to pop off.  It was NOT fun.  Went to my ENT, tried to look sad and pitiful.  He prescribed another round of stronger antibiotics and a steroid pack.  Have been feeling MUCH better since about yesterday.  He also cultured my nose (which is exactly what you think and was as unpleasant as you would imagine) to make sure I didn't have a "resistant" strain.  Haven't heard from them, so hoping that means my strain is compliant.  Still have a bit of a cough, but nothing like what it's been, so I'm hoping it's on it's way OUT.

3. Jason would like me to say something nice about him on here.  So there you go.  Hee hee.
Just kidding, here's my nice thing: the other night when we were about the fall asleep, he told me that he adored me.  Now, Jruss is very good about being verbal with his love, but it's not normally like that.  If he has ever said that to me before, I can't remember it (and I'm pretty sure I would!).  It was actually very special.  Bless his heart, he is so misguided.  It's amazing I've been able to fool him as long as I have.  :)

4. We went to Fall at the Farm tonight.  This is an annual event for North Point staff and their families.  It's bbq, jumpy houses, s'mores, and carnival games.  Lots of fun-if a bit chaotic trying to keep track of the kids.  Harper's socks got so dirty that I'm going to be throwing them out.  But first I'm going to take a picture. Seriously, you've got to see them.

5. This is a fairly big update, but I'm burying it here because I don't want anyone to remember this if I decide to change my mind.  But I also want the little bit of accountability this will afford me.  Almost 3 weeks ago (it was during my radiation, actually), I had a bit of an epiphany.  If you know me well or have followed my blog for any length of time, you'll know that I'm not comfortable in my body. In fact, I almost never have been, but it's definitely been worse since the kids, especially since Harper. Now I know that I can't blame myself and my lack of discipline for all of it, because my thyroid has definitely affected it, but I am overweight and have been for some time now.  I think I have finally reached that point where I am done and am ready to work on doing something about it.  That said, I have done two things: (1) I have begun to count my calories with a free website-think Weight Watchers without the monthly fee and have so far lost 3 pounds and (2) this morning I took my first steps (literally) in training for a 5K-hopefully in January.

6.  I'm going to give you minute to digest that last sentence.  But, no, you didn't read that wrong.  I said 5K.  As in a race...that you run.  I am looking for sustainable life change in both my diet and my exercise routine.  That's why I'm doing the best that I can during the week and giving myself a bit of a free pass for a couple meals on the weekend on the food end of things.  And that's why running makes sense.  I can do it anywhere and I already have the equipment.  I have no lofty goals of running a marathon (blech!) or even running more than this one 5K, but I wanted to have something I was working towards.

7. So we'll see. If nothing else, I know that I can do absolutely no exercise and still lose a pound a week by watching my calories.  But it sure would be nice to not wiggle so much.  And it would be even better to not be absolutely and completely horrified by my image in pictures. I have to force myself to be in front of the camera (and I delete a LOT of those pictures).  It was actually a picture Jason got of me while we were camping that caused my epiphany (picture has been deleted, incidentally). I have become someone almost unrecognizable to me and it is unacceptable. I am the fat mommy I swore I never would be.

8.  But if I fall off the diet wagon and never run a step, you will pretend you never saw these words...

Incidentally, I need a little help from my ladies out there.  The first week or so of my 12 week build up to the 5K calls for only walks, so I have a couple days, but I am worried about my current sports bras' level of support for when I actually starting running (or who am I kidding? jogging).  Does anyone who has more than their fair share in this department have some suggestions for good bras?  I would appreciate the help.

1 comment:

Elloa said...

while i definitely have less than my fair share in the "need for sports bras" department, i can tell you that all of my "well endowed" female running partners in the past have said that nothing works better than wearing 2 sports bras. it's good to get a combination of a light-weight, very breathable bra and one that is more supportive. i think all of my sports bras are nike; they're great and last a long time. dick's usually has a few that are on sale.