Tuesday, August 25, 2009

In one accord

Tonight is my last night with a thyroid. I am doing very well. Towards the end of last week I had hit a wall, I guess and was really bummed and frustrated and throwing myself a pretty good pity party. But a family at our church has been hit by a tragedy far worse than mine and it has put my situation in a really good perspective. Bryan, who I work with at NP, and his wife Kathryn gave birth to their third son a little over 3 weeks ago. Sadly, Samuel was born with a heart condition (that they knew about), but since birth has experienced complication after complication. Sunday night he took a turn for the worse and his life is truly in God's hands even as I type this. The doctors have told Bryan and Kathryn to prepare for the worst as they have done all they can for him. To read Samuel's whole story, see their blog at apinisfamily.blogspot.com
Needless to say, this has changed my entire attitude about me. I would gladly undergo 15 surgeries before seeing my tiny baby, who I've barely been able to hold, hooked up to all the machines. The pictures of Samuel on their blog are heart wrenching.
Also, I feel like this whole journey has really been eye-opening for me in terms of my faith and relationship with God. When we were trying to get pregnant and failing, I was completely and utterly devastated. I was angry that God was saying no. Up to that point, I had had no major tests of my faith and infertility was a big one for me. A little over halfway through our infertility journey I remember a specific conversation I had with God where I told him that whatever it was I was supposed to learn in this deal, I wanted to learn now and I didn't ever want to go back to that place. God has answered that prayer. Through infertility, God showed me that I could trust Him and that He never left me, even if I felt alone, I never was.
This whole process has not ever felt like a test of my faith like the infertility was. If anything, it has been a confirmation of what I learned about God at that time. I have been able to see, with pretty good clarity, all of the good things that have happened in this situation (and there are a lot). I have not ever felt forsaken by my Heavenly Father. Not once. In fact, before my parotid biopsy and before the first thyroid surgery, there was a time after I had left my family and before the procedures began that I was by myself. I remember saying "Well, it's just you and me God" and in both those times, I felt the physical presence of God. He came and sat on the edge of the bed and put his hand on my head (this was before the drugs, incidentally :) ). I was able to go into both procedures with an amazing sense of calm and peace. I expect nothing different for tomorrow.

That being said, I would like to ask for prayer for some specific things. It has been amazing to hear who is praying for me and my family. It is very humbling to be the person on the receiving end. Thank you so much-God is answering your prayers.
Here are my requests:
1. That this surgery and recovery will be exactly the same (or better!) as the last. It was very manageable and fairly easy, considering. If it's just like last time, I am in good shape!
2. For my doctor, Dr. French, that he would be well-rested and steady handed tomorrow. He is wonderful and even called me today to make sure I didn't have any questions going in to tomorrow.
3. That the surgery will be faster than last time and Jason won't have so long to wait in the waiting room.
4. That my mother-in-law, Susan, who is driving from Augusta to here tomorrow with both kids, will have an uneventful trip to our house.

Jason will be updating the blog in the morning/afternoon. Thanks again for the prayers already offered on our behalf.
So, on behalf of the left side of my thyroid, I bid you a fond farewell.

No comments: