Tuesday, August 25, 2009

"Nostalgia" Photo Challenge




This week's iheartfaces photo challenge is nostalgia. Kind of a neat theme because the pictures just have to mean something nostalgic to the photographer. As soon as I saw the theme, I knew exactly which picture to enter. This photo is my Harper at one week old. It is nostalgic because I have the same shot of Garrett when he was one week old. It became, and remains, one of my all time favorite shots of him.
The reason why Harper's picture is my entry and not Garrett's is because each time I look at this picture of Harper I am reminded that God blessed me twice. We had a difficult time conceiving. Our road to parenthood was not as bumpy as some, but bumpier than others. We had let go of the dream of biological children and were preparing to adopt when I discovered that I was pregnant with Garrett-without any of the medical intervention we had been trying. Quite simply, Garrett was our miracle. So when it came time to add to our family, we were hopeful that we could conceive again, but satisfied with our miracle and prepared to adopt Garrett's brother or sister. So it was an amazing gift to discover that we had conceived Harper with no extraordinary effort on our part. And that's how I think of my children-Garrett is our miracle and Harper is our gift. And looking at this photo reminds me that I thought I would never have one baby, let alone two.
Feeling nostalgic? Head over to http://iheartfaces.blogspot.com to check out other nostalgic photos!

No comments: