So yesterday was a pretty big day. Why, you ask? On that date in history, 18 years ago, Jason Russell and Allison Connelly went on their first date.
It was Saturday, February 4, 1995. We were both on the down hill slide of our freshman year at UGA. We had met and hung out on MLK weekend and enjoyed each other's company. But this was our first official date.
Before we left, Jeff Harper, Jason's next door neighbor in Russell Hall and mastermind of the whole date, pulled me into his dorm room. He said that this was our first date. That I needed to remember all the details of the evening-what I was wearing, what song was playing on the radio, where we went and what we did. That these details would be important to our children later. I can remember laughing rather nervously. It was a lot of pressure to put on a girl.
Little did he know how right he was. That we would relay those details to our children one day. Sadly, I didn't pay too much attention. I don't have a clue what I was wearing (but I'm sure I looked amazing in 1995 fashions with long hair and big 'ol glasses). The radio in Jason's car was broken, so no song. We did go to the movies. I could just about tell you where we sat in the theater. We saw "Legends of the Fall." Not a great first date movie.
And it was in the car on the way home, in the silence (but not uncomfortable silence) that I heard God say "you're going to be sitting next to him for the rest of your life." That took me by surprise. But He was right.
I've been sitting next to Jruss ever since.
I can't imagine a better seat mate.
Thank you Jeff.
No comments:
Post a Comment