Monday, January 21, 2013

Would he be proud?

As today is Martin Luther King, Jr. day, my children and my husband had the day off. Jason and I both tried to explain the significance of the day to children who are really unable to understand.  But I figure we need to try. Tonight after dinner I found a 5 minute edit of the "I Have a Dream" speech that we watched.
So inspiring.  The man was an unbelievable orator.  I love the cadence of his speech and the passion with which he spoke.
But tonight as I watched, I found myself wondering if he would be proud today?  Undeniably, he would be proud to share his day with the second inauguration of the country's first black President. However you feel about Obama's record as president, there is no denying that the mere fact that the President is a black man represents a huge amount of progress since King's march on Washington.
We have certainly come a long way, but would you say his dream has been realized? Are people judged by the color of their skin or the content of their character? Have all God's children joined hands in brotherhood?
Progress has been made, no question. But I'm not sure if he would consider his dream realized. And that makes me a little sad.

No comments: