Saturday, January 12, 2013

Raise the alarm

So here's something I think most moms can relate to.  Do you think there's an alarm that goes off in your child's head as soon as the back of your thighs hit the toilet seat? Yesterday was rainy, so after the kids got off the bus, there was a lot of relaxing in the house.  The kids were tired from their first week back, and so was their mom.  My kids were in our front room, Garrett on the computer and Harper was watching the little TV.  I was going back in time and watching "Designing Women" on our TV in the living room.  For one solid hour our children needed absolutely nothing from me.  Seriously, not a peep.  Nature calls and I go upstairs to use the bathroom in our room (as I'm about to segue into a nap) and no sooner do I sit down than do I hear the "pitter patter" that is my son barreling up the stairs. Was he bleeding? Nope.  Had someone barged into our house and made off with his sister? Nope.  He needed a drink.  And felt the need to come upstairs to tell me this. Even though there are cups where he can reach and a water dispenser in the door of the fridge. Not to be outdone, as soon as he leaves, here comes Harper. She wanted a snack. That she can get on her own, she also just wanted to keep me informed.
In this same vein, I would also like to formally lodge a complaint that this alarm does not seem to be functional where Jason is concerned.  My husband can squirrel himself away for upwards of half an hour with not one interruption.  I've even seen the kids look for him and upon discovering he's in the bathroom, simply walk away. I cry foul!

Can I get an amen?

No comments: