Monday, September 10, 2012

It's a head scratcher

I'm back after my week away!  All day today I kept thinking about all the things I had to tell you.  I've got lots of funny stories from my time away.  Nothing like a little road trip to give you fresh ideas for your blog!
And then tonight happened.  This evening, we entered a new club in the Russell home.  A part of parenting that few escape, but almost none ever speak of.
Head lice. (insert dramatic music here)
Garrett had a letter in his folder.  The dreaded "a child in your child's class has head lice" letter.  As Garrett handed it to me, he was scratching his head. So I decided to take a peek.  And had to call Jason over.  Yep, looks like head lice.
Off to CVS.  Was going to pop in the Minute Clinic to confirm.  It was packed.  So we headed to the pharmacy.  As the pharmacist was insisting that she might not be the best person to confirm if it was head lice, I just asked if she could take a peek.  And she was like "Oh, yep.  That's head lice."
Awesome.
Then we spent about an hour on the shampoo and "nit picking" before we made the call to just shave his head.  It was so hard to see all the nits.  Should have just started out shaving his head. Have started the first of what I'm sure will turn out to be 150 loads of laundry. Have scratched my head so much tonight, it's a wonder I'm not bleeding.
Y'all.  There were live bugs on his head. Crawling around. Live. Bugs. And so many nits, I couldn't even begin to estimate. It was both oddly fascinating and horrifying all at the same time.
Feel pretty good about how much we removed tonight, though I know I'll need to repeat in the morning.  But, for real, how is it possible that he will be the only one of us to get it?  It's just inevitable, right?  I checked Harper and she looked clear.  For now.  I've had Jason check me 3 times so far tonight.  I loved all over that kid yesterday as he sat in my lap for KidStuf at church. I mean, it's only a matter of time, right?
Trying to decide if this is better or worse than a stomach bug.  At least I know I won't have to wake up to clean up vomit in the middle of the night (unless it just turns out to be a banner evening).
My head itches.

1 comment:

Candy said...

Sorry, man. I hope it's better today. We won't be coming to visit anytime soon. :) That's one way to keep your friends away!