Wednesday, September 12, 2012

ILMC

Today we had our first all-staff meeting at work since May.  That means EVERYBODY, from all 5 campuses, gathers and Andy usually does a teaching.
Today, Andy focused on how our church will continue to go forward and reach the gay community, specifically those who would identify themselves as gay Christians or Christians who struggle with same-sex attraction.  Back in May he preached a sermon that was not on homosexuality, but he used an example of a homosexual man (and the family he left to pursue homosexuality) as a sermon illustration.  This caused quite a stir, both within our church and within the larger evangelical community.  Unfortunately, Andy was misrepresented and vilified by people who do not attend our church and did not listen to the whole message.  It was a sad time and really difficult for me because we have sat under Andy's teaching for the last 13 years and I have had the pleasure of being on staff for almost 12 of those years.  I know that man.  I know his heart.  And it's hard to listen to people dog him.  Especially when that wasn't what he said!
Anyway, I don't really want to go into detail about what Andy shared with us.  It's too complicated and open to gross misinterpretation.  I really just wanted to share that I am (once again) so proud to be affiliated with this church. I am proud to raise my children in this church.
Life is messy.  And complicated.  People make it even more so.  The Scripture is unequivocally 100% truth in this dark world. But we can make a point or we can make a difference.  And my church is committed to making a difference.  To conversations, not policies.  To managing the tension of loving broken people. And to being the best representation we can be of Jesus on this Earth.
I love my church.

No comments: