So tonight Jruss and I made the very familiar trek down I-20 home from Augusta. When traveling to Augusta on Friday night we did a little fancy math and estimated that we have traveled down I-20 to Augusta close to 200 times since we started dating in 1995. So this stretch of road is very familiar to us.
However, tonight on the way home, I found myself noting several little oddities on the road that I don't remember noticing before. Perhaps this was because we left the kiddos in Augusta for a little "Grammy camp" and I had time to just stare out the window! (Yes, we are kid-less for almost 2 MORE weeks! We're the luckiest parents alive!)
These observations have led me to my Sunday night question.
How on Earth does all the stuff-the majority of which are personal belongings like shoes and socks-get on the side of the highway? Obviously, there's lots of "nature" on the side of the road. And by "nature" I mean "dead animals." And, sadly, I know exactly how that happens. And, even more sadly, there is an enormous amount of trash on the side of the road too. But we've all been behind a pickup truck when trash flew out of the bed of the truck. And we've all been behind a car whose occupant threw some fast-food trash out the window. This is unimaginable to me, but sadly not all that unusual. What I can't understand is how a shoe ends up on the side of the road. Or a sock. Today, we stopped off for gas about halfway home and on the on-ramp, I spotted a sweatshirt. A whole sweatshirt. How did that happen?
Anyone ever lose a shoe on the highway?
No comments:
Post a Comment