Tuesday, June 26, 2012

What is this?

Last night, the world was graced with another sweet little baby girl.  Our friends, Paul and Jessica Veen welcomed their daughter, Emma Grace into the world.  Emma Grace is their first baby.  Jess went into the hospital Sunday night to prepare for induction yesterday.  About 10:00 last night we got the word that a C-section had been scheduled for around 11.  I'm not completely sure what all led to that point, but I know that Jess had dilated all the way, but that the baby wouldn't come down the birth canal enough for her to start pushing.  C-section went forward, Emma was born at about 10:45, and mom and baby came through just fine.
All day today, my heart has been heavy for Jessica.  I know what that first 24 hours after the c-section are like and they ain't pretty.  But I've also found that thinking about her today has stirred up some feelings in me.  Here's what I've been thinking about:
  • Despite all the reasons (very good reasons) that point to the flat out untruth of this statement,  I still feel bad that I had to have c-sections. 
  • I have no idea where this feeling comes from.  Not one person in my life has ever made me feel bad or less than for having to have c-sections. I must be bringing this all on myself.
  • Somehow I'm projecting all this onto Jessica (who I haven't even talked to yet!) and feeling bad for how she must be feeling bad today because she had to have a c-section after laboring all day.  Are you kidding me?  She just had her first baby last night! She's fine and Emma is fine. What could she possibly feel bad about? Plus she's on Percocet, so I know she doesn't feel bad about anything right now! :)
I don't get this at all.  Where is this coming from?  My babies were born 7 and almost 5 years ago.  In that time I've only had to tell MY doctors about my c-sections because those go under the surgical history section of any form.  Not one person has ever acted like I was not a woman or not a "real" mom or that anything was wrong with either of my kids because they were born by c-section.  So where is this coming from? What is this?
Anyone have any ideas?

No comments: