I alluded to this story in my anniversary post and I would like to share it with you now. I'm afraid it will lose a little something in the translation, but it really was funny.
So Jason and I decided to catch a movie on our way into Naples last Tuesday. We happened to be arriving at the theater not too long before the show started, but needed to grab a quick bite of lunch before heading in. There was a Jimmy John's restaurant close to the theater, so we decided to stop there.
This particular Jimmy John's had a small area for patio seating, so the building had these columns spaced about 6-8 feet apart that the tables were in between. When we had ordered and sat down at our table we were on the inside of the restaurant, but the window by our table looked out over the patio area. Got the scene?
So we sit down and I see Jason looking out the window and kind of laughing, so I peek over and a young guy is sitting in a hammock strung up between two columns in the patio area right outside our table. My first though was that it was weird that Jimmy John's put a hammock in their patio area. When I said this to Jason he laughed at me and then said he had seen the guy tying it up when we walked in. So, it is this guy's personal hammock that he apparently travels with. He has pulled up a patio chair below his hammock for easy
entrance and exit because it is about four feet off the
ground-really too high. He's sitting in it gently swaying in the breeze of the passing cars looking at his iPhone. He enjoys his perch for about 2 minutes and then hops down to get something out of his backpack. Then it's back up into the hammock. Again, he sits there for about 2 more minutes and hops down and comes inside and orders a sandwich. Then he goes outside, gets a water bottle out of his bag and comes back in the restaurant to fill it up and pick up his sandwich. So now it's back out to the hammock to eat his lunch. First pass, gets up into the hammock with sandwich, but drops water bottle. Gets out, retrieves water bottle. Gets back up into hammock and opens sandwich only to discover his sandwich was missing some key ingredient. Back down and comes inside the restaurant to have them fix it. It's at this point that I must remind you this hammock was about 4 feet off the ground and point out the kid had actually sat in for a grand total of about 6 minutes, but had been fooling with it for almost 15. Sandwich fixed, back out to the hammock with partially unwrapped sandwich and water bottle in hand. This time he gets smart and just puts the water bottle in the hammock before trying to get in and then proceeds to climb in with his sandwich (again, partially unwrapped). Except this time his foresight cost him. When climbing in to the hammock the water bottle rolled down so he ended up basically sitting on it and while he was shifting trying to get the water bottle out from underneath him he about dropped his sandwich! A whole glob of toppings, mostly lettuce, spill out of the sandwich onto the patio. I can see him laughing at himself. And we were laughing too.
All throughout this time, Jason and I have ordered, eaten, gone to the bathroom, and thrown away our trash. This guy, who basically ordered his sandwich about 7 minutes after us hasn't even started his yet because of all the finagling with the hammock.
I don't know if it was new or if he was just really proud of his genius idea to take his hammock to Jimmy John's and enjoy his sandwich outside. In June. In South Florida. But dude was committed to that hammock.
Gotta admire his dedication. I would have given up and eaten at one of the lovely, provided patio tables.
1 comment:
You did a great job describing this for us! I laughed out loud and was almost in tears! That was so funny. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment