Now, many of you are going to say that the tone of this post is whiny. And whiny about a problem many wish they had. That is NOT my intention. I'm merely pointing out how the grass is always greener on the other side.
Our children are in Florida with my parents until July 3. We came home yesterday. Alone. This is the second year in a row that we have a couple kid-free weeks in the summer. And, yes, it is fabulous all the way around. My children get to have quality, alone time with their grandparents who they only see about 4 times a year. There is abundant sunshine, a pool, a boat, a trip to SeaWorld, and doting grandparents. What more could two kids ask for? On our end, we get to harken back to those early, kid-free days. Quiet house, no worrying about what we're watching on TV, no meals to prepare for whiny, picky kids. Date nights with no babysitter. Restaurants with waiters that are more than a five minute drive from the house. Movies. In a theater. Very cheap grocery bill.
But this brings me to our dilemma. What is the best way to spend this time? Do we just go hog wild and eat out every night, see every movie offered at the theater? Or do we use this time to tackle our to-do list that's full of things that would be so much easier to accomplish without the kiddos around? Or do we use this time to catch up at work, not having to be tied to drop off or pick up times for the kids?
What we discovered last year is that it's very easy to squander this time. And that it's not as much time as it feels. We still have to go to work. Which means we've worked all day when we get home. Meaning there's not a ton of energy to tackle a big house project. And Jason is traveling one night this week and we have small group one night. And the cleaners are coming this Thursday, so I can't get started on a big house project this week because it needs to be done and cleaned up by Thursday. (This is the point where you may feel I've started to whine.)
My point is that it will be next Sunday night before I can blink and I'm pretty sure we won't have accomplished much by the way of projects by this time next week. The week will look remarkably similar to what it would look like if the kids were here, minus a ton of driving around and lunch making (which I'm thankful for).
So how do I measure the success of this kid-free time? The amount of things I catch up on at work (especially since we were gone last week)? How many projects we cross off the house list? The amount of TV shows/movies we see? How many times we have sex? Or just how rested we feel?
See, this is my dilemma. I don't want July 3 to come and me regret the way we spent the time. It's kind of a lot of pressure (completely self-inflicted, I know).
Such a good dilemma to have. I'll keep you posted on where we end up spending our time. Minus the part about how many times we have sex. That's none of your business! :)
1 comment:
I suggest you rate the success of the week based on the number of times you have sex. Of course, I may be a little biased.
Post a Comment