Monday, May 14, 2012

I knew it!

Over the years, Jason and I have figured out that the Bible verse that says "Don't let the sun go down on your anger" doesn't really apply to us.  Now, before you get panicked that we don't feel the Scripture is the authority for our life, we didn't really think that it didn't apply to us-we just interpret a bit differently.  We've just really learned that sometimes, if we are fighting after the sun has already gone down, we need to wait for it to come back up again before we can really solve the problem in a kind and loving way.  And usually, the problem that felt so enormous and brought up so much emotion at 10:30 at night looks really different at 8:00 the next morning.
Tonight we went to an event at church that was to learn about how to get along better with your spouse based on their Right Path (personality test) results.  And the facilitator said something that totally validated our finding.  She said when you are arguing you should HALT and take stock.  HALT stands for Hungry, Angry, Lonely, or Tired.  If, when you find yourself in an argument, you are any or all of those things, your need to HALT the argument and come back to it when you are not those things.  You need to say "I'm committed to you.  I'm committed to solving this problem.  But right now, I am hungry and can't solve this problem effectively.  Let's eat and revisit it."
Love it.  This has saved us from so many late, frustrating nights spent going over and over the same stupid point because both of us were too tired to work through the problem effectively.  Now we have a cool little acronym to go with what we learned a couple years ago!

No comments: