Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Trying something

So you know that thing where you've never heard of something and then one person tells you about it and then you hear it all over the place?  What is that?  Were you really hearing about it before and just didn't clue in?  Anyway, that's what this is.
My mom went to a book signing a few weeks back.  She told me the author was really cool and spent most of the time he should have been plugging his book talking to the audience about how everyone is a writer.  And how, if you're really serious about becoming a writer, you just need to write.  Every day.  And really the best thing you could do is write about your life so that future generations will have your thoughts.  Can you imagine how cool it would be to read your great-grandmother's blog?  It's not necessarily about being published, it's about capturing your voice.
So then I read this book (that was really good by the way-maybe I'll write about that tomorrow) and the main character was an editor.  And throughout the book it referenced things about sending manuscripts in to editors and that whole process.  And just about writing and writers in general.
And today I was watching Good Luck Charlie on the Disney Channel with the kids and this commercial comes on for this book about the Disney cruise ships (shameless plug on their part, I feel) and this girl is interviewing the author about his advice for any kids out there wanting to be a writer.  Guess what his advice was?  To write every day.

So here I am.  As evidenced by my Thankful November and truly pitiful Favorite Things December, I am terrible about follow through.  I develop the best laid plans you've ever seen and peter out rather quickly, if I start at all. I am endeavoring the change that in other areas of my life, so why not here too?

I am going to try and blog every day.  I have always thought about being a writer.  Lord knows I wrote enough papers in school to call myself a writer.  And I realize I am not writing the great American novel here, but my life is not boring (well it is a little, but I like that way), I have highly entertaining children, and I have opinions on a lot of stuff (most of it completely unimportant).  So here we go.  Day 1 complete.

See you tomorrow.

No comments: