Thursday, April 19, 2012

Mothers

Today, a woman I have never met buried her young son. He was about Garrett's age and was sick more of his life than he was well. I find myself logically thinking that Creed's passing was a blessing.  He was a believer and we know now he is completely healed and rejoicing with our Savior.
And while those facts are 100% true, it doesn't change the fact that the woman who carried that little fella in her body and was blessed to be there when he breathed his first, also had to endure the moment when he breathed his last.  Something no mother should ever have to do.

My heart has been heavy all day.  It still shocks me how universal this motherhood thing is.  I will likely never meet this woman and I won't meet Creed until heaven.  But I know how much I love my Gman and if I had to watch him endure what Creed endured, I'm not sure how that would go.

Tonight Garrett and Harper were dancing in the living room after supper.  Nothing particularly special, or even all that unusual (there is a LOT of dancing in the Russell house).  But it was both soothing and painful to my heart tonight.  As I had the joy of living through a very ordinary moment with my children tonight, somewhere in my city a mother was beginning her life as the mother of a child in heaven.

I love that we serve a God who knows and understands everything.  Because I sure don't.

You can read more about Creed's life at his blog: http://creedsstory.wordpress.com/

No comments: