Saturday, April 14, 2012

Doomsday Preppers

This is show on National Geographic (or NatGeo as the kids are calling it) that I have recently been introduced to.  I love it!  It profiles people who are prepping for the end of the world as we know.  There are several flaws in these people's logic, which is, of course, why it's so entertaining as a show.  However, because there's a not-so-small part of me that would totally become one of these people if given the opportunity, it has sparked some interest in me for prepping.  Not like the crazy people on this show who basically have full-time jobs canning chicken to sustain 22 people for 15 years.  But the show mentions what FEMA recommends several times and so today I got curious and actually looked on FEMA's website.

It is actually really cool.  It gives you really practical things to think about, lists of supplies to have on hand and guidelines for food storage.  They also have links to state specific information, that also gives you really good info. Admittedly, it's a little nerdy, but the way that I like to feel a sense of control over things that I have absolutely no control over usually involves lists and a stockpile of some sort.  So basically, doomsday prepping was tailor made for me!  And this is more "storm/disaster preparedness" not prepping for the end of the world.  That seems a little more socially acceptable.

So check it out.  Even if you don't do a single thing it suggests, it will not be a waste of your time to peek at it.  And you can rest assured that checking things off their recommended supplies checklist is going to become my Quarter 2 project, so if there is a disaster soon, come on over, I'll be prepared!


http://www.ready.gov/

No comments: