Thursday, November 4, 2010

Countdown to Six

OK, so I'm already welling up.  My little boy, firstborn child, son whom I longed for like nothing else in this world, will be SIX on Saturday.  This morning as I was drying my hair I told Jason that this time last week we were getting ready to go to Jacksonville for the GA/FL game (that's a whole other post that may or may not get written!).  And he pipes up with "And this day six years ago we were getting ready to go into the hospital".  Garrett was supposed to be born on Friday, November 5.  We went into the hospital Thursday, November 4 late in the evening to enable us to begin induction bright and early Friday morning.
My memories of this day are crystal clear.  I remember our parents getting into town, going to Moe's for dinner, and walking down the steps in the house before leaving for the hospital.  I was terrfied.  I was ecstatic. I grieved (just for a minute) the loss of our couplehood-but I was ready to be three instead of two, so that didn't last long.
Looking back, if I knew then what I know now, Jason would have had to drag me out of that house by my ankles. Oh, how naive you are that first time around!  For sure and for certain, Garrett would have a November 5 birthday as I would have let them take him after that first unsuccessful day of induction.  But, I still had my natural childbirth, granola dream.  Really, I should have known this motherhood thing was not going to turn out like I had planned when my actual birth experience was as different as you can get from my dream of it.
I think that's probably the best and worst thing about being a mom.  For a planner like me, it is suprememly frustrating at times to not be in control of my own schedule and to do list.  But, on the flip side, for a planner like me, it's nice to just relax and go with it sometimes.  We are taking the whole family the the UGA game Saturday to celebrate Garrett's birthday.  This will be his third game, but Harper's first.  My mom asked me how I thought she was going to do and I told her I have no idea. I'm done trying to figure that kid out.  We're just going to go and see what happens.  We might leave before halftime or we might have to drag them out of the stadium after the game is over.
This represents a huge shift in me in my almost six years of mothering.  I would have never had that outlook before.
So, news flash, becoming a mother changes you.  Can you believe I've been doing this for almost six years? Crazy!

1 comment:

Rachael Walkup said...

You are so right when you say becoming a mother changes you. I can hardly believe the things I let slide and go with the flow on. Can't believe it's been 6 years for you. You are an awesome mom. Love knowing you!