Little health update. Had my 3 month post iodine treatment follow up appointment with the endocrinologist on Monday. Had blood drawn to test for that protein that's produced by thyroid cells (which should NOT be in my blood because I don't have a thyroid). The appointment was frustrating for a lot of reasons, but the biggest one was that I had gone in last Thursday to have the blood drawn so the results could be ready on Monday only to find out that they tested me for the wrong thing and I had to have blood drawn again and wait 2 more days for results.
Got an email from the dr yesterday. Here's what she wrote:
Lab results show that thyroglobulin is okay but your antibodies are high which means we cannot rely solely on the thyroglobulin levels and would need help of other imaging studies to follow up. So, I would like for you to conintue the same dose of synthroid for now and then in three months, will check your levels again after we do the ultrasound and adjust medication based on those results. PLs call us about a week before appt to schedule US appt and also blood work. Let me know when you need the script for synthroid.
Sent her a follow up email to clarify what the heck this meant and this was her reply:
Thyroglobulin antibodies make it hard for us to rely on thyroglobulin levels because of the way the blood is analysed. Don't worry about it. In three months, if your thyroid level is still high, then we back off on the dose.
So there you have it. I also received the lovely news that the doctors walk a fine line in treating thyroid cancer patients. Too much synthroid leaves me at risk for osteoporosis and too little may allow the cancer to return. And right now, my levels are showing that I'm taking too much synthroid. And it's also a mystery why my body insists on holding on to weight. Technically because I'm taking too much synthroid, I should be losing weight. When I asked the doctor about this, she was super encouraging (insert sarcasm here) and said the weight thing in hypothyroidism is a medical puzzle and every time they get close to figuring it out, they hit a roadblock. Effectively she told me that since I'm not losing weight being on the dosage I'm on, my weight issue is not related to my thyroid and good luck with that. She read an article that said if I replaced a meal a day with cereal (um, breakfast?), burned 500 calories A DAY, and maintained as close to normal thyroid levels as possible, I MIGHT lose weight. SO encouraging.
So it was on the positive notes of being fat forever and having to have "other imagining studies to follow up" instead of just a straightforward blood test that I ended my week. Good times.
No comments:
Post a Comment