Monday, November 2, 2009

Halloween 2009

I truly feel like we are just starting to be sitting in the sweet spot of life.  Halloween just solidified that for me.  Both kids get the holiday and both still thoroughly enjoy the whole thing.  I know I don't have too many more years of this, so we are just trying to soak it all in while it whizzes past.
Sadly, the weather didn't cooperate, but when you're 2 and almost 5 and there's a prospect of limitless candy, you tend to adopt the motto of the post office "neither rain, nor sleet, nor snow, or hail..." (or something like that!)  Harper refused to wear her coat because it covered up her costume and by the time we finished her little hands felt like blocks of ice.
Funniest moment of the night:
There was a house with one of those sensor-things that makes noise when you step up on the stair.  It was not really scary, just the bwa-ha-ha laugh and some blinking lights.  From the rest of the decor on their porch, Jruss and I knew something like this was possible, so we were kind of playing up how "silly" the decorations were.  Well, Harper had already decided it wasn't worth it and was waiting on the front walk.  Garrett was a little ahead of me with Jason.  When Jason went up on the porch and the laugh started, Garett thrust his bucket at Jason and said, "You take my bucket and say trick or treat and get the candy" and ran back to me.  I laughed so hard I almost wet my pants.  Even in a moment of true terror, he wanted to make sure he got the candy! You gotta love that kid.

OK, enough talking, I know you really just want to see pictures!

Venom (the name of the black Spiderman, which apparently you know if you're a boy!) and Spider girl.  Who looks a tiny bit like a punk rocker. Hilarious.



I decided to get the wagon in an effort to speed things up a bit (it was really chilly) and it had the complete opposite effect as Harper insisted on pulling it herself.  Garrett was more than happy for the ride.  This picture was taken for about the only minute she actually wore her jacket.  Please take note that both are children are dressed in almost completely black with little to no reflective tape anywhere.  Clearly, we are the BEST parents in the world. :)
 And no, that's not a bunny tail, but a very strategically placed rain drop on my lens!



My absolute favorite picture of the evening.  Harper decided to man the wagon while Garrett had gone to get some candy.  Her mask was getting less and less festive as the night wore on, but as a true girl, she was determined to suffer for fashion. I could just seriously eat her with a spoon.  I love this fiesty little girl.




Our pumpkins for the year.  The left is a Storm Trooper and the right is Minnie Mouse.  Jason actually did the bulk of the carving-all of Minnie and about half the Storm Trooper.
If anyone has some tips of how the take good pictures of a lit pumpkin in the dark, send them my way.  They looked so much more awesome than the picture conveys.


No comments: