Tonight I kissed you good night for the last time as a four year old. I think I have enjoyed this year the most with you (but I think I think that every year). You are an incredible little boy. You are funny enough to make me laugh until I cry, you have a tender heart and are a really good friend. You are the absolute best big brother that Harper could ever have, but I have a feeling she'll have to be quite a bit older to appreciate you. You are way smart-you are even starting to read a little. You read us an entire book the other night with just a little help from your dad. I must say that's the thing I'm most looking forward to for you this year. I hope that you love to read as much as your dad and I-it opens up whole new worlds-ones you can visit from the comfort of our couch!
Your fourth year has brought some bad things too...sad, but they must be mentioned. You have a tendency to talk back and you can be quite disrespectful. Almost every time I tell you to do something you complain, "But that will take FOREVER" in your most whiny voice. For some unknown reason, you hate to drive on the highway and complain every time we do (which really isn't all that often). You are a terrible backseat driver-you question the direction, how fast I go, why I haven't gone yet or turned yet, everything until I lose my cool with you. We have had some not so Hallmark moments this year. You can drive me to my absolute limit, but you at least have the good sense to pull back right when you've brought me to the edge. I have said and done some things this year that I'm not proud of (wrecking one of your Lego creations in a fit of anger comes to mind), but you are always quick to forgive me and seem to love me just the same. Perhaps the saddest thing this year has brought is that I'm always going to remember that you were 4 when I had thyroid cancer.
But, overall, your 4th year has been a really good one. Here are some pictures of what we did this year:
This was you from our Christmas card last year. Silly boy. The story behind this picture was that you were laughing like this because you had just tooted on my lap.
You hunted Easter eggs in our neighborhood. We were only allowed 13 per child and you got yours really fast. Candy is a huge motivator for you!
The joy of our new home is the flat driveway. You and Harper have spent a good deal of time out there playing. You are quite the little artist!
Your school picture. I love this picture. I think it perfectly captures your personality. Very sweet, with a hint of mischief.
It makes me so happy that you are still friends with Grace and Charlotte. You guys have been together always. It is sheer joy to have watched all of you grow.
You went camping with Dad. You love doing manly things with Dad. You've actually helped quite a bit with things around the house this year.
You have discovered a love of photography this year and I have many of these "self-portraits". Actually, you have a really good eye and have composed some pretty neat shots. You mostly take pictures of your toys.
We saw our first movie in the theater as a family. You have seen movies in the theater before, but Harper hadn't. We saw "Up". You loved it, but you love every movie-even ones you haven't seen. Quite the little film nut!
Your face is sometimes your favorite canvas and you went to your first parade.
We went to Fripp for your 4th trip. You only missed the year Harper was born.
You still enjoy pants-optional play time and have, unfortunately, passed that on to your sister.
This was your last first day at North Point's Weekday Preschool. You are thrilled to be in Pre-K and will tell anyone who asks!
Your indulgent Weekday teachers unfortunately enable you in your addiction to temporary tattoos in weird places.
After 4 years, luvie lamb is still with us, though a lot worse for the wear. This day you chose to draw a "robber mask" on her face.
We started our Fall with the first family camping trip. You were so excited to feel like the "expert" about camping and were eager to show Harper and I things that you knew about this campground. We had a great time!
Lastly, this year saw your first foray into the world of organized sports. You scored 3 goals over the season, but a lot of your games and practices got rained out (to your GREAT disappointment). At the team party, your coach remarked that you had the best attitude at every game. And he was right! You were a great little soccer player.
Happy Birthday Garrett Allen Russell. You are walking, talking proof of our God's faithfulness. You are my miracle. I could not possibly be more proud to be your mom. I see great things in our future, son.

2 comments:
This post is awesome!
We love us some Garrett in the Chadwick home! I'm so so glad that he was born. Thanks for the post. He is such a joy!
Post a Comment