Today was my first day back to work since the surgery. I'm not normally a morning person, but was up and raring to go. I was so excited to be back on my "normal" routine.
Things went really well during the day. I work at an amazing place full of caring, supportive people.
Little did I know that fact was about to become even more important than I thought.
At about 4:00 this afternoon my ENT called me with the full results of my pathology. It was not good news. Apparently, I have a follicular variant of papillary cancer. Not real sure what that means, but I do know that it's rare, hard to detect, and hard to diagnose. So hard that my slides had to be set to Johns Hopkins for confirmation (thus the delay in getting the results). Good news is this type of cancer is very treatable with fantastic results. My prognosis is excellent and there's a really great chance that I don't even technically have cancer anymore because it was removed with the right side of my thryoid.
The bad news is that I have to have surgery to remove the left side of the thyroid now. Within a week or two. I will also have to receive radiated iodine treatment after the surgery. Again, not sure what that entails, but overall sense is that it is way better than chemo or radiation (and a lot faster).
Now that the shock has worn off a bit (and I've had some dinner-thank you Suzy!), I can say that my overwhelming emotion is depression. I thought I was done. And now I find that I have to start all over again...and soon! The doctor told me to expect that I will be more sore this time as we are irritating an already irritated area. Great.
Now, you all will be tempted to start a sentence with the phrase "the good news is..." Frankly, I don't want to hear it right now. Intellectually, I know the good far outweighs the bad in this situation and in a month, this too will be behind me. I know that my life is chock full of God's richest blessings, that He is sovereign, that He still has me in His hands and that this is all part of the plan. I do know those things, I really do. I live very closely to people who are enduring life circumstances far greater than this, and I in no way feel I am more deserving of sympathy than them or that I even play on their field.
But for right now, I want to wallow a moment. I want to be mad that I have to rearrange my life, my kids' life, and my husband's life again. I have to have another IV, another night in the hospital, more medicine, more anesthesia, more pain. I have to be away from the job that I love for two more weeks. I have to pee in that stupid collection container in the hospital again. I will have to a diminished voice for even longer-another chance for permanent damage to be done to my voice. I just started sleeping flat on my pillow 2 nights ago and now I'm looking at another 10 days of sleeping propped up in funny positions.
This time I'm getting Percocet.
I expect to have a surgery date by Monday, at the latest. I'm hopeful that I'll hear something tomorrow, but that may be unrealistic. I will keep you posted.
1 comment:
boo, i hate to hear this news. But I am glad they found this early. I'm sure its better to find it now than a few months or years down the road. I'm praying for you-Please let me know if you need anything! Love-Rachael
Post a Comment