Yesterday was my 33rd birthday. These ladies bought me lunch and made me brownies and ice cream (my favorite dessert). We sat in Sally's kitchen, and later, her front porch, and talked about all the things we talk about-our kids, our husbands, our families, TV shows, etc. Our children ran around and played and squealed and generally did all those things that children do.
It was a little slice of heaven.
Candy and I met at orientation for UGA in July of 1994. She is the sister of my heart. I have had and do have some wonderful friendships in my life, but nothing like what I have with Candy. I met her and we were best friends in about 20 minutes. Since 1994, the farthest we have lived from each other is 8 miles. My life would be the most perfect if she lived next door to me, but I have to settle with 4 minutes for now. :) The neatest part of our friendship right now is watching our daughters, who are 2 months apart in age, develop their own friendship. Plus, she's getting ready to deliver my neice and my nephew...oh, I can't wait to get my hands on those babies!
Sally and I met at the Wesley Foundation in the fall of our Freshman year (94) at UGA. We were not particularly close during college. She actually was closer to Jason in college, but we hung out a good bit. Our friendship really took off and deepened after we graduated. She and her husband got married almost exactly a year before Jason and I. When I would come to Atlanta to visit Jason in the year before we got married, I stayed with Jay and Sally. She directed our wedding. We've spent a lot of late nights playing Trivial Pursuit (we are a fierce team) and discussing life's issues. Our first children were born 4 weeks apart. There's nothing like newborn hell to bring two women together.
It is through Sally that I met Leslie in 2004. She and Sally were in birthing class together and discovered that they attended the same church. Leslie's first daughter was born six weeks after Garrett. Without those two women, I would have lost my religion, my sanity, and probably my husband in those first few months of Garrett's life. We would meet at North Point mall and nurse in the Rich's bathroom, just to get out of the house. There is just something about experiencing motherhood at the same time that really draws people together. She is my ultimate parental sounding board. We trade stories, advice, encouragement, and generally just keep each other sane (relatively speaking!).
Especially since I became a mom, I have realized how vital friendships with women are. Motherhood is very isolating. And no matter how wonderful your husband is, he experiences parenthood very differently. You need to hear that other people's kids act just like yours, that other mothers lose their tempers and make mistakes, and that other mothers love their children with the same wild fierceness as you. Plus sometimes you just need to talk about how hot you think the guy who plays James Kirk in the new Star Trek movie is. Your husband would not understand.
So 33 is not exactly a milestone year. Right now the only thing I've got is that Jesus was 33 when he was crucified. But I'm thinking this could be a great year to celebrate. I have a great life. It may look boring by Hollywood standards, but in all the areas that count, my cup runneth over.
And to prove it, look at this:
Candy and I met at orientation for UGA in July of 1994. She is the sister of my heart. I have had and do have some wonderful friendships in my life, but nothing like what I have with Candy. I met her and we were best friends in about 20 minutes. Since 1994, the farthest we have lived from each other is 8 miles. My life would be the most perfect if she lived next door to me, but I have to settle with 4 minutes for now. :) The neatest part of our friendship right now is watching our daughters, who are 2 months apart in age, develop their own friendship. Plus, she's getting ready to deliver my neice and my nephew...oh, I can't wait to get my hands on those babies!
Sally and I met at the Wesley Foundation in the fall of our Freshman year (94) at UGA. We were not particularly close during college. She actually was closer to Jason in college, but we hung out a good bit. Our friendship really took off and deepened after we graduated. She and her husband got married almost exactly a year before Jason and I. When I would come to Atlanta to visit Jason in the year before we got married, I stayed with Jay and Sally. She directed our wedding. We've spent a lot of late nights playing Trivial Pursuit (we are a fierce team) and discussing life's issues. Our first children were born 4 weeks apart. There's nothing like newborn hell to bring two women together.
It is through Sally that I met Leslie in 2004. She and Sally were in birthing class together and discovered that they attended the same church. Leslie's first daughter was born six weeks after Garrett. Without those two women, I would have lost my religion, my sanity, and probably my husband in those first few months of Garrett's life. We would meet at North Point mall and nurse in the Rich's bathroom, just to get out of the house. There is just something about experiencing motherhood at the same time that really draws people together. She is my ultimate parental sounding board. We trade stories, advice, encouragement, and generally just keep each other sane (relatively speaking!).
Especially since I became a mom, I have realized how vital friendships with women are. Motherhood is very isolating. And no matter how wonderful your husband is, he experiences parenthood very differently. You need to hear that other people's kids act just like yours, that other mothers lose their tempers and make mistakes, and that other mothers love their children with the same wild fierceness as you. Plus sometimes you just need to talk about how hot you think the guy who plays James Kirk in the new Star Trek movie is. Your husband would not understand.
So 33 is not exactly a milestone year. Right now the only thing I've got is that Jesus was 33 when he was crucified. But I'm thinking this could be a great year to celebrate. I have a great life. It may look boring by Hollywood standards, but in all the areas that count, my cup runneth over.
And to prove it, look at this:
1 comment:
Welcome to the darkside...Blogger. :) You can find my blog and the Parnaby family blog through my profile. :)
Post a Comment