I've been thinking about you, my poor, sad, neglected blog. I've been thinking of things to write on you. I miss our time together. I have some things to process with you. I want to be all motivated and such and commit to blogging on a regular basis-to updating the world with pictures of my kids and our glorious adventures. I have things to tell you. I've learned some things in the 18 months since I've updated you. I can't commit to you just now. I want to, but I'm afraid of leaving you hanging. Let's start off nice and easy.
For tonight, we'll start with a question. It may be a question I have posed on here before. But you know, it's been so long since we've been friends, I don't really remember.
We just got back from the beach (where I took exactly 6 pictures, so get excited) and several times as we were on the road, I noticed something. I have noticed this before and I just have so many questions. What I noticed was people who have memorials to people on their cars. Like a sticker that says "We love you Carl, Rest in Peace 1984-2014" Usually with a cross or some other icon-type thing in the middle. Now, don't get me wrong. It's clearly sad that Carl died at 30. But I just don't understand the need to memorialize Carl on your car. What do you do when you sell the car? Scrape it off? That seems horrible. How long do you keep it? Was the car decal handed out at his funeral and his mom asked everyone to put it on there and so you did, but now 1 year later, are you wishing you could take it off? What is the purpose of this? Does it help you remember Carl? I don't spend a great deal of time looking at the back of my car, so is this a cautionary tale to the rest of us (who didn't know Carl, but can add) and know to live each moment as though it's precious because we don't know when our time is up?
I know this is possibly coming off as terribly disrespectful. Grief takes all forms and if having a sticker on your car helps you process, then by all means, sticker away. I just never know what to do with that. It always makes me a little sad for these folks. And confused.
Thoughts? Is this a classic Aruss over-think?
No comments:
Post a Comment