I must start this list with a disclaimer. I cannot stress enough how little my desire is for another baby or how I have absolutely no desire to revisit those preschool years. That bring said...
Today I was folding laundry on my bed, like I have done every week in some form or fashion since I was 12 (that's when mom started making me do my own laundry). Over the years the amount of laundry and the types of clothes have changed, but folding it and putting it away has been a constant part of my life. By the way, anyone warn you how hard it would be to fold maternity clothes?
I was folding a pair of Garret's pants and then a pair of Harper's and it struck me how BIG their clothes are now. I so distinctly remember folding that first load of baby clothes before the baby was even born. I remember realizing I didn't really need to fold it because it basically folded into nothing. Then once the baby was born, there was no folding because I was taking things out of the laundry basket (clean, of course) to put them right back on him.Now I have to be creative on folding Garrett's pants to get them all in the drawer because they're so long.
So this morning, as I was folding, I had this flash of what it would be like if I did one of those time lapse videos of me doing laundry. You know, where me standing there folding stays the same but everything around me changes. It reminded me of that saying I've seen on social media several times. "Enjoy the small things because you will soon look back and realize they were the big things."
I try to remind myself of that when I'm doing any of the "grind" chores. As mind-numbing as most of the things I do to keep my family running are, I know I will be back to folding just Jason's and I's clothes, grocery shopping for the 2 of us, NOT packing lunches, not signing agendas, not cleaning teeth and retainers, and on and on, before I know it. And I will have a little flash of nostalgia like I did this morning because the pants I folded used to be no longer than my forearm and are now almost as long as my leg.
I am living in the good days. These are the days I will look back as the happiest and most of content of my life. Laundry and all. And I just wanted to pause to remember that this morning.
But now I must go fold another load!
1 comment:
We have 3 year old and 1 year old boy clothes if you REALLY miss folding.
Post a Comment