Sunday, August 19, 2012

At Last

Last week at work one of the girls I work with had the idea to bring in our wedding albums to share.  It was such a great idea!  So fun to see everyone on their special day.  It led to lots of laughter as we all shared the obligatory "disaster" of the day.  Every wedding day has at least one thing not go quite so right (as in one girls wedding night hotel not having their room and them ending up in the Comfort Suites with the rest of their family!) and what's a wedding without some family drama (another girl's brother got so angry at their bio dad not staying for the whole reception that he punched a tree and had bloody knuckles while he delivered the toast).  You know, the normal stuff weddings are made of.  That blessedly isn't captured in the pictures. :)
Or wedding day "disaster" (not really) was that the DJ didn't have our song.  I had picked out "At Last" by Etta James.  It was not as popular way back in the last century when we got married, so I considered this a real find.  Jason and I dated for FOUR years, so it truly was "AT LAST" that we were getting married.  Plus the song is a little over 2 minutes.  About all I wanted to be out on the dance floor by ourselves.  Since the DJ didn't have it we went with our fake song-an inside joke with some of our friends.  "Everything I Do, I Do For You" by Bryan Adams.  Song is like 6 minutes long!  Not ideal, but certainly did the job on the day.  Since that was our only disaster, I'll take it!

Tonight we celebrated the first tech free night of the school year (we had gotten away from this over the summer).  We had Pandora on listening the Adele channel-such nice chill music.  Etta James came on and I called Jason downstairs from supervising bath time so we could dance.  One of the lines in the song is "...and here we are in heaven, for you are mine at last." I have to admit to getting a bit choked up tonight listening to that.  We were twirling around our living room that was full of puzzles pieces from an afternoon of no TV, with our children dancing right next to us (the tango!), in our awesome house that fits our family perfectly.  And it was heaven.  And he is still mine after 13 years of marriage.

I am one blessed woman.

No comments: