Monday, April 30, 2012

What I learned

I learned some things on our camping weekend.  I will now share them with you, in no particular order:
  1. The distance between your campsite and the "comfort station" (aka, bathroom) is key.
  2. A windy night will cause your tent's rain fly to flap around.  This sounds like someone (or something) trying to get in your tent.  It is very disconcerting.
  3. Having your daughter wake up at 3am in the tent complaining that her tummy hurts is a heart-stopping experience.  Luckily, it was cured by a quick drive to the comfort station.
  4. I decided that I would willingly shell out $150 for a new tent as opposed to cleaning up what I was worried was about to happen in #3.
  5. $50 of glow products for 11 children to play with on one night was worth every penny.  
  6. All glow sticks are NOT created equal. www.windycitynovelties.com Vastly superior glow stick product.  Go for the 6inch.  Green is by far the brightest, but purple was a favorite amongst the ladies.
  7. Almost 3 year old twins are easier to watch over than just over 2 year old twins.  Especially when one of those 2 year old twin boys is hell-bent on self-destruction.  In the words of his mom, "that child is going to throw himself off a cliff if we don't watch out."
  8. Don't underestimate the kindness of strangers.  Will's Nemo ball was floating out to the middle of Lake Lanier when a fisherman came over, picked it up in his boat, and returned it to us.  It was likely he was driven by the sounds of Will completely melting down over the loss of his beloved ball (heart-breaking).  But kind nonetheless.
  9. A cigarette boat is a complete waste of horsepower on Lake Lanier.  And they are obnoxiously loud.
  10. Toasted Peeps are one of the most amazing things you'll ever eat around a campfire.  I don't even like Peeps and they were SO good.
  11. Razor scooters and a slight paved decline between two campsites are NOT a good combination.  Or, seen in a different light, a fabulous way to scrape up knees and hands.
  12. Sitting in the shade of huge trees, watching the boats go by, a breeze stirring your hair, listening to the sound of the water is a fabulous way to spend an afternoon.  Add friends and good conversation and you have my idea of heaven!
  13. I buy enough food to feed approximately 8 families.  And so do the other 3 families I camped with.
  14. Water bottles are a good idea.  Forgetting to buy water bottles is a bad idea.  But I had 100 Blow Pops!
  15. Spiders around Lake Lanier make their webs out of NASA technology fibers.  If you are unfortunate enough to walk through one, it will stay stuck on you for about 6 hours.  And you look like a crazy person trying to get it off you.  One of your friends will have to inappropriately grope you to get it off.  Choose that friend wisely.
  16. Camping is a lot of work.  But it is totally worth it.

No comments: