So until I come up with a better name, I give you the first entry of:
Recurring Blog Theme Post #1
Why do you ask?
This one little question will get you out of some pretty awkward situations and allow you to answer the question that is really being asked. I use it at work all the time. Part of my job involves working with other churches that want to use our materials, from Andy's messages to a promo video for an environment. Most of the time the request for said material comes in through email and with a very general question. Getting clarification before I answer saves everyone a lot of time.
But the best place I use this is with my kids. My kids, like all kids, ask tons of questions. I spent a lot of time answering all these questions only to get to the end of my very long-winded answer to discover I was answering the wrong question. If you find out why they are asking or (and this one is crucial when questioned in the car) what made them ask, you'll be a lot more efficient. And get yourself out of a situation where one minute you're talking about why your dog never had any puppies and the next you find yourself explaining periods to your 7-year-old (true story). All that could have been avoided with a simple, "Why do you ask?"
No comments:
Post a Comment