Thursday, May 19, 2011

Spelling vent

I have taken it as long as I can, but I can bear it no longer.

It used to be that my biggest grammar/spelling pet peeve was the whole your/you're mistake.  It is quickly being replaced by bare/bear mix-ups.

Bare means naked.

Bear is obviously an animal, but also can be used like "I can't bear it" of a difficult circumstance.

It literally makes me cringe when I see on Facebook that someone has posted something about a difficult circumstance and talk about how they will "bare" it. Or people comment with how they are praying for them to "bare" the circumstance.

Yikes!

I know that's really snotty of me, and clearly, in this day and age, good spelling/grammar is no longer valued, but come on!  Doesn't it look a little weird to you when you type it?

1 comment:

Amber said...

Girl...I am right there with you. And the whole mix up of "then/than" drives me up the wall!!! So sad that grammar and spelling aren't valued any longer. Sigh.