Sunday, January 23, 2011

Him, too

God showed me something this week that I'd like to share with you. Allow me to give you just a bit of background...

Our little man had to have a tooth pulled this week.  We've been knowing this was coming and it's really just the beginning of the Garrett Russell-bleed-my-parents-dry dental saga.  Anyway, the tooth they were to pull was right next to his very loose front tooth, so I asked them to pull that one while they were there.  Bottom line, two teeth to be pulled, Gman has no idea.  But we've reached a milestone in the Russell house and our little guy can read.  I wrote a note to his teacher explaining why he was going to get picked up early and she wrote me back on the note and Garrett saw it in his folder and read it.  Whoops...there are a few downfalls to him being able to read.

So we get to Wednesday morning and he knows the teeth are coming out and does manage to make the connection that with lost teeth comes the tooth fairy, and surely since these have to be pulled, that she'll leave him a bit extra.  He decided that he really hopes she brings him a gold dollar coin.  I have never heard of such a thing and tell him so.  He informs me that Ryan from his class got one from the tooth fairy and they are indeed real. Dangit.  I have no idea what a gold dollar is or where to get one even if I did have the time to track it down.

Fast forward a bit and I'm at work.  Jessica is opening money from other parents in Josh's and Harper's class for a gift for the teacher (who's about to have a baby).  I see her looking at her hand with a bit of an amused, puzzled look on her face.  When I asked her what it was, she shows me a handful of gold dollar coins that a parent had given her as their contribution.  I almost fell over.  Immediately bought one off her and tucked it in my wallet for safe keeping.  Parent of the year!!!  I've found the thing he wanted the tooth fairy to bring him!!!  Ridiculously excited about this gold dollar coin.

In thinking about this story over the last couple of days, I have come to realize something.  In the retelling of the story, several people have mentioned that that was a God thing.  And I agree.  But what I've realized was that it was not a God thing for me, but for Garrett.  God loves Garrett.  He wants good things for him.  He wants to give him the desires of his little, tooth-losing, 6 year old heart.

I always think of Garrett as God's expression of love for me and he is.  I have learned so much about myself and about God in my 6 years of being Garrett's mommy. But this was the first time that I've ever really put it together that God loves Garrett, too.  Silly, maybe, but it was big for me.  Especially as Garrett has started to ask some questions about God that make us feel as if the Holy Spirit is speaking to him.

Pulled teeth, a gold coin, and a nudge from my Heavenly Father about my beloved son.  Not bad for a Wednesday.

No comments: