Sunday, July 18, 2010

Sometimes you just get it wrong

So I have this thing about cups.  I am a one cup per day kind of girl.  There are exceptions, but in general, I drink out of the same cup all day long.  I also enforce this "rule" with my kids.  If I didn't, we'd have to run the dishwasher every 15 minutes with the amount of fluid my children consume.
For the most part, this rule serves us well.  Today, however, it bit me in the behind.
I just bought some new Take n Toss sippy cups for the kids.  The ones we had were getting kind of gnarly, we'd lost lids, lids didn't fit and hello, "toss" is in the title, so I did.  The new ones for Harper have Princesses on them, so that's all Harper has wanted to drink out of lately, this morning was no exception.  I put her orange juice in it at breakfast and when we were heading out the door for church I noticed that it didn't look like she had drunk any of it.  This is unusual, but we had doughnuts for breakfast (Garrett had a friend spend the night and I'm working on my image as "that Mom"-you know the one who buys all the junk!) so I thought she was just focused on the doughnut and not so much the orange juice.  Plus, yuck, doughnut and OJ!
When we got home she kept saying that her cup was too "hard"-which made no sense.  So ALL DAY, I have just been telling her to suck it out. C'mon girl, you've been drinking out of these cups for years, quit complaining.  Dumped out the old and poured her at least 2 more cups of different types of fluid that still were not getting drunk-still complaining that her cup was "too hard" and asking for a new cup.  She even took matters into her own hands and climbed up and got a water bottle out and filled it herself. Not without spilling most of it on the kitchen floor, of course. This did not help her case.
So finally, tonight at dinner, when she had requested pink milk, I made it, she helped me make it, and took one "sip" and said "it's still too hard" that I grabbed her cup (in anger, I'm not going to lie) and tried to drink out of it.  Nothing came out.  I sucked like a vacuum, still nothing.  Upon closer inspection, it appears that the little holes in the spout did not get fully poked out and so it's more like a cover because nothing is getting through that spout.
Got her a new top and she sucked that milk down like, well, like a girl who's had nothing to drink all day but the juice box she had at lunch and the little bit of water that did not spill on the kitchen floor.

Mother of the year.

2 comments:

Amber said...

Hilarious!!! And, I'm with you on the ONE cup a day thing. Scott drives me crazy putting my cup in the dishwasher. Dude! I'm not done with that!

Rachael Walkup said...

That is sooo funny! Totally something I would do.