Saturday, May 15, 2010

On our way to see the Mouse!

Writing this from our very nice hotel room in Lake City, FL, with the first leg of our Disney vacation behind us.  Am actually waiting on my fingernails to dry before heading off to dream land.  Kids finally fell asleep around 10:30!  It will be interesting to see how early they wake up in the morning.  We are right next to the highway, so there's quite a bit of traffic noise that we don't have in Cumming, so we may be in for an early morning.  But we still have three hours to Disney, so they can sleep in the car (hopefully!).
We pulled out of the driveway at 1:03 this afternoon.  And pulled back into it at 1:22.  We realized we had forgotten the iPod and when Jason turned the car around, it also dawned on me that I had left a bag full of all my toiletries (basically, half our bathroom!) on our bed.  Thank goodness we turned around when we did.  The funny thing about this is that two weeks ago we traveled to Augusta (to meet our new niece, Charis) and left our toiletry bags sitting on our beds.  It was one of those "I thought you went back upstairs to get them" deals.  Of course, we didn't remember until I was ready to take my contacts out that night.  So, it was super funny to forget the SAME thing again this week.  I would have been in a world of hurt had we not turned around.  It takes a lot of toiletry items to produce this fabulous specimen of womanhood-plus now I am like an old lady with all my medications, lotions, and potions.  I even have reached a new low by purchasing one of those daily pill containers.  I kept forgetting if I had taken my thyroid medication.  Now I know.  But also feel old.
Am so looking forward to what this week will bring.  When I dreamed of having a family, I dreamed of having kids, not babies.  So we are drifing in to that sweet spot in life.  Potty trained, self-dressers who can walk and talk and feed themselves.  Ah, the good life.
But with the good, must usually come the bad.  Am coping with a ruptured left ear drum.  Am more than a little mad this has happened to me. Luckily it didn't happen on the trip, but two days before it is not much consolation. Pain is manageable with Motrin, but is a really weird sensation. Almost totally deaf in that ear.  Very hard to hear in a crowd.  Can hear my own pulse in a weird, throbbing way. A little more dizzy than usual. Wondering what in the world God is trying to show me through all these random medical issues.  Am ready to learn it so I can quit being a Discovery Channel special. I used to think I could never handle a chronic medical condition.  Now I have realized if you string together all that I've been through in the last year, it counts as a chronic condition. I have realized you can cope with a lot and adapt to a lot.  I've gotten really good at hiding how much pain I'm in and gutting through it.  But I'm sick of having to cope.  I want to just live.
I have been looking forward to this trip for over a year.  Had my sinus surgery when I did so I could be 100% for the trip.  And here I sit at about 85%.  Was 100% on Tuesday. This was not what I had envisioned.
Hopefully, Disney will not disappoint.  So far, am very happy with the trip.  Love being with my family and having a very loose schedule. Will try to update as we're there, but will for sure when we get home-with lots of pictures!
PS: Jason wanted me to talk about how great he was for driving the whole time.  He was, but I did offer several times to trade.  That's all I'm sayin'.

No comments: