I had an epiphany tonight. I feel good. It's been a long time since I've felt good.
And I'm not just talking about recovery stuff. In fact, this feeling has nothing to do with the 2 surgeries in 3 weeks. As an aside, I am recovering quite nicely. I went back to work today. I'm still having small twinges of pain when I move my head too fast or lift my head up a certain way, but all very manageable and fading very fast. But back to my epiphany...
For at least the last year, maybe longer, I have been beating myself up because I felt like I was lazy. The littlest things became HUGE projects in my head and I was exhausted before I even started. And I'm not talking about a project like cleaning out the basement or painting a room, I'm talking about cleaning up the kitchen or vacuuming the stairs. Now, all my close friends have kids and schedules similar, if not more demanding, than mine. And their houses were always more clean than mine-even when they apologized for how messy their houses were-they were always WAY cleaner than mine.
I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. I get minimum of 6 hours and usually more like 7 hours of sleep a night (which is plenty for me). My kids are in bed by 8:30 at the latest and sleep until at least 7:00. But I still felt wiped all day, almost every day.
But for the last 6 weeks or so, (with the exception of the surgeries, of course) I haven't felt like this. My house is cleaner than normal-and we haven't done hardly any housework for the past 2 weeks. I don't have to stand in the shower every morning and convince myself that I can do this to get my day started. I don't have to collapse on the couch after the kids go to bed for an hour before I can even get up to clean up the kitchen.
I feel great! I have gotten so much done over the last month-projects that have been on my list for MONTHS. And tonight, it dawned on me that all this is because my hypothyroidism is being treated. I had no idea how bad I felt until I don't feel like that any more. It was a slow decline and it's been a bit of a slow climb out of that decline, but now that I'm standing on the top of that hill, I like the road I see in front of me.
And, to me, the best news out of all this is that I'm not crazy or lazy or lacking motivation or organization. There was a reason I fell short when I compared myself to other mothers in a similar situation.
This is a nice little nugget to carry myself through what I'm sure is going to be a long process with medication, blood work, CT scans, more blood work and more, different medication.
I feel great and I'm not crazy. Not bad for a Tuesday night :)
4 comments:
I knew you weren't crazy! :) I'm glad you're feeling better.
Praise God-so glad to hear this good news :)
That is terrific! So glad to hear!
Michelle
Last comment was from Michelle May. :)
Post a Comment