Thursday, September 3, 2009

ALL CLEAR!!

Well, panic attack for naught last night.  Doctor had good news on several fronts for me this morning.  The left side (that was removed last week) showed no signs of cancer and the two small lymph nodes he removed also were all clear.  Also, the additional margin testing that they did on the right side (removed Aug 3) showed that the cancer had not spread outside the nodule.
All together now, BIG sigh of relief.
I literally started shaking with relief as I left the doctor's office.
And, my incision looks perfect.  Still a bit raw, but no signs of infection.  He took the tape off and said he thought my discomfort in these last two days was due in large part to skin irritation because of the tape and not the incision.  He put a new piece of paper tape just over the incision (the last piece of tape covered quite a bit more than just the incision) and already I feel better.
I will see Dr. French again in November at which time we'll re-examine the parotid gland (you remember that little knot in my jaw that started this whole thing?).
I have an appointment for next Friday with the endocrinologist (no idea if I'm spelling that correctly!) to get what the next steps will be for the radiated iodine.  Dr. French did warn me that I'm in for a bit of a "process" with scans and blood work galore in my future.  Oh, yippee.
Thank you all who have prayed, checked on me and my family, cooked us dinner, sent us cards, brought my kids home, read this blog...

To say that I am greatly relieved is an understatement.

Also, say a prayer for the Apinis family today.  They buried little Samuel this morning.  Right about the time I was getting my good news, they were doing something no parent should ever have to do. These next few days will probably be among the darkest they will ever face. I'm told the service was lovely and that God's glory shone, but the fact remains that Samuel is not home sleeping in his crib.

2 comments:

Ashton said...

I'm so glad to read the good news. I check your blog a couple of times a week and I love being able to look-in on y'all. Hug Jason and the babies for me!
Love,

Ashton

p.s. We got the monkey blanket! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

That is GREAT news, Allison! Good luck, and God bless all of you!!!

Gary

(P.S. GREAT look for your blog!)