Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Verdict from the endocrinologist

I met with the endocrinologist today. I haven't quite processed how I feel about it yet, but here's the news:
1. I have been put on Synthroid to treat the hypothyroidism. It is likely that I will be on this medicine for the rest of my life. Have to take it once a day, first thing in the morning-no big deal. There are no side effects and this medicine has been around for awhile and is very safe.
2. I do have to have surgery to remove the right side of my thyroid. There will be a pathologist in the OR and once the doctor removes the right side, the pathologist will slice it up and look at it under a microscope. If he sees cancer, they will go ahead and remove the left side while I'm there. Even with this, there is an outside possibility that I will have to have another surgery to remove the left side after more in-depth pathology is done.

Here are the details:
1. I can wait until after we come home from Fripp to have the surgery, so that's good news.
2. I will have to spend one night in the hospital and my recovery will take 2-3 weeks.
3. There is a 1 in 500 chance that I will be hoarse for the rest of my life (if they nick my vocal cord during surgery).
4. I may have to be on calcium supplements for the rest of life (which I probably need to be on anyway!)
5. I will see the endocrinologist after the surgery and there will probably be some finagling to get the dosage right on the synthroid.

I spoke to my ENT today. I am very happy with him. I feel like I'm in very capable hands. I liked the endocrinologist-I was in and out in 45 minutes! And they didn't draw blood!

Overall, I'm a little nervous about the surgery, but not excessively so, and I feel that it would be more weird if I wasn't a little nervous. I am relieved to have a plan and an action step, not a "Let's give it 6 months and do this whole thing over again".

I will keep you posted when we schedule the surgery. Thanks for your prayers!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just had an ultrasound on my thyroid this afternoon concerning a lump my doctor found. I'm now waiting the next few days to hear back on the next step, so I'm traveling - if not the same road- a similar road as you.

Thanks for posting this, and I'll keep you in my prayers.

Wendy said...

Hey Allison...just saw all these posts.
I'm actually on Thyroid medication and have been since I was 16y/o. I have tried them all and have landed on taking Armour - it is a more natural version (made out of pig thyriod) rather than the synthetic version (Synthroid). I'd be happy to talk to you about it if you want...it has really helped me and actually isn't so bad to be on it. Wendy D.

Herzig Family said...

Allison - I've been following your blog and have been thinking about you. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts. Your children are just beautiful and you are a great Mom! I always chuckle when I read what you write about being a mom - it's so true. I just found our old yearbooks in my basement...we were in such a rush to grow up then! Much love to you...keep in touch. Hugs - Mandi